BGI and the Greenway
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) is the 501c3 non-profit organization planning for the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway and its long-term stewardship. This 14-mile landscaped route, physically separated from traffic and with separate paths for pedestrians and cyclists, will run from Greenpoint through Sunset Park.
Five miles of the greenway are already open with interim treatments, and it is a popular cycling and running route. Once complete, the greenway will connect neighborhood parks and open spaces, as well as four major regional parks, comprising more than 200 acres of open space in one of the most densely developed waterfronts in the world.
For more information, to arrange a Greenway tour, or to schedule an interview, contact Gabriel Rodriguez, Communications and Events Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718.522.0193.
Recent Press Releases
- Brooklyn Greenway Initiative Names Terri Carta first Executive Director – 4.16.2018
- Explore the Brooklyn Waterfront this Summer on BGI’s 10th annual Epic Ride – 3.1.2018
- Borough President Eric Adams Releases Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway Stormwater Management Plan 1/13/2015
- The Epic Ride Becomes Brooklyn’s First Certified Sustainable Event By Council for Responsible Sport – 9/5/2014
- Greenway Bikes and Peds Are 25% of Flushing Avenue Traffic – 9/3/2014
Recent Articles / Press Coverage
- Brooklyn Greenway Initiative peddles forward with flood mitigation efforts
- Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway could do double duty as a flood barrier in Red Hook
- Pure ecstasy! Cyclists pedal and party at Bklyn bicycle rave
- Night Ride: Party on wheels this weekend at the Brooklyn Bike Rave
- Brooklyn Greenway Initiative knows how to throw a great fundraiser, by Sarah Matusek
- Brooklyn Greenway designers pitch bike path as storm barrier, NY Daily News
- Work Underway to Create Brooklyn Greenway in Environmentally Sustainable Way, NY1
- Growing the Greenway: Columbia waterfront space set for planting, NY Daily News
- Between the Drink and the B.Q.E., NY Times
Here’s What’s Next for the Flushing Ave Segment of the Brooklyn Greenway, STREETSBLOG Brooklyn Greenway Expands With More Bike Paths Along The Waterfront, Gothamist
- Piecing Together Brooklyn Greenway, Wall Street Journal