January 23, 2012
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative seeks a part-time Program Associate who has the ability to develop, plan and execute public programs and events throughout the year. Previous experience in event planning is helpful.
This position is fast-paced and deadline-oriented. The ability to be flexible, well-organized and self-sufficient is essential; enthusiasm, sense of humor and a positive attitude are also important. This position averages 21 hours per week and has the potential for growth. Candidate will be required to work some weekends and evenings.
Areas of Responsibility
• Assisting with logistics and coordination for open space and public planning workshops and other stakeholder meetings.
• Managing and coordinating logistics for bike tours and working with management on the development of new bike tours that expand BGI’s presence and diversify its range in the biking community; developing other high-activity programs which may include a marathon and/or triathlon.
• Developing, managing and coordinating logistics for new educational programs which may include: historic tours along the route of the Greenway; Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway tours highlighting current project status and benefits and neighborhood tours focusing on current and future uses.
• Managing current volunteers and identifying new sources of volunteers and assisting and coordinating logistics for: quarterly user counts; monthly stewardship programs; tabling events and all other public programs, fundraising and membership events; monthly volunteer open houses and acknowledgement events and supervising volunteers for mailings and other administrative tasks.
• College degree with 2-5 years experience in managing programs;
• High level of attention to detail and the ability to work independently and see projects through to completion;
• Strong writing, interpersonal and oral communication skills. Program Associate will be interacting directly with BGI’s co-founders and serve as the organization’s representative to BGI’s partners and the general public;
• MS Excel proficiency required.
Send resume, cover letter, and a 2-page writing sample to email@example.com with “Program Associate” in the subject line.
Submission deadline: Friday, February 3, 2012. No phone calls please.
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit corporation planning for the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway and its long-term stewardship. The Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway is a planned 14-mile, off-street, landscaped route for cyclists and pedestrians, from Greenpoint through Sunset Park. When completed, the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway will connect Brooklyn to the Manhattan Greenway network. Public benefits will include increased waterfront access, more diverse transportation and active recreation options and increased economic development.