We Need You
BGI’s three co-founders started as volunteers over a decade ago. Today, hundreds of people annually donate their time towards completing the Greenway.
Even if you can’t commit to a specific timeframe now, please sign up as a potential volunteer and we will contact you as projects arise. Thanks!
- Plant trees, shrubs and flowers along the greenway
- Remove litter and weeds from the greenway
- Marshal our Brooklyn Waterfront Epic Ride and Turnstile Tour’s Sustainability Bicycle Tour of the Brooklyn Navy Yard
- Assist at major events by signing up new supporters.
- Meet neighbors and fellow greenway supporters while enjoying fresh air and exercise
- Access to unique Brooklyn waterfront locations
- Know that you’re an integral part of making the greenway happen!
Become a BGI Member Today
Members are vital to BGI’s work, now and in the future. Your support makes our voice stronger when we speak to elected officials, city agencies and other decision makers. At every amount, your membership will make a difference!
Your membership contribution is tax deductible to the full extent of the law. BGI is a 501c3 non-profit organization.
Supporter / $25
Friend / $50
Partner / $75
Skater / $100
Jogger / $250
Blader / $500
Biker / $1000
- A copy of Building the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway: The Implementation Plan for the Greenway, which was released in June 2012;
- Advance invitations to free public programs, including BGI’s annual spring 10-mile Future Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway Bike Tour and quarterly art openings at Brooklyn Greenway Initiative Gallery;
- Members discounts for tours of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, BGI’s annual summer 40-mile Brooklyn Waterfront Epic Ride, and more;
- Priority project planning updates, so that you can get the latest information about Greenway segments in the pipeline as well as upcoming public planning workshops;
- Information about a multitude of other BGI partner events throughout the year along Brooklyn’s waterfront, featuring existing and new open spaces – large and small – that the Greenway will connect; and,
- Advance invitations and discounted tickets to BGI’s annual New Views gala, a benefit party which features waterfront locations that previously have been largely inaccessible to the public.
Have Fun With Us
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative hosts a variety of events, tours and programs throughout the year. You can see recurring events below. Be sure to check out our calendar for the latest happenings!
Get On Your Bike
BGI hosts a range of bike tours for all ages and abilities. and are always looking for experienced ride marshals and guides. Sign up on our volunteer page!
See Our 2012 Rides
- May 26: Future Brooklyn Waterfront Bike Tour, a 10-mile guided tour at a family-friendly pace. Free but must pre-register at ride2012(at)brooklyngreenway.org.
- July 28: Brooklyn Waterfront Epic Ride, a 40-mile supported ride ending at Rockaway Beach. Fee applies; registration opens in early June.
- April – October: Brooklyn Navy Yard Bike Tours, held in partnership with Urban Oyster. Fee applies; see calendar for tour dates.
Help Keep the Greenway Clean
BGI works in partnership with non-profit community service providers, corporate volunteer programs, and neighborhood residents, all of whom want to help keep the greenway clean and maintained. Contact us to plan a day for your group!
See Our 2012 Cleanups
- Columbia Street cleanups: Generally held the second Saturday of the month, open to the public; see calendar for specific dates.
- Williamsburg Street West cleanups: Generally held every other month, open to the public; see calendar for specific dates.
- Corporate volunteer days: BGI can arrange a volunteer day for any size group! Contact Brian McCormick, Director of Development, at 718.522.0193 or bmccormick(at)brooklyngreenway.org.
- Red Hook Justice Center partnership: BGI works with RHJC’s alternative sentencing program for youth offenders to use sections of the greenway as community service sites.
Party For The Greenway!
Each year, BGI holds three benefit events to raise funds to support the organization’s work. Contact Brian McCormick, Development Director, for sponsorship opportunities and additional information
See Our 2012 Benefit Events
- April 22: Spring in Kings is BGI’s annual spring fundraiser for 125-175 people, typically held in April at a local restaurant and featuring a specific nearby greenway segment. The 2012 benefit was held at Pok Pok Ny (Columbia Waterfront) and welcomed special guest Councilmember Brad Lander.
- June 21: New Views 2012 is BGI’s annual summer fundraiser for 250-400 people, typically held in June at a newly-opened or newly-accessible section of the waterfront. The 2012 benefit will be held at the Edge in Williamsburg; previous benefits were held at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, East River State Park, Erie Basin Park, One Brooklyn Bridge Park, and Northside Piers. Purchase tickets
- Fall event TBA: In 2011, BGI held a dinner benefit for 100 people at Alma Viva Restaurant (Columbia Waterfront). In years prior, BGI hosted informal fall benefits at FIND Home Furnishings (Gowanus), which featured tastings from local restaurants. Details for our 2012 fall benefit are coming soon!
Make Art on the Greenway
The Brooklyn Greenway Initiative Gallery features artists who live or work along the greenway route. 30% of all sales proceeds are donated to support BGI’s work, and all purchasers also receive a one-year BGI membership.
Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm or by appointment.
Thank you to our 2012 gallery sponsor: Waterfront Wines & Spirits at One Brooklyn Bridge Park.
Underwrite an Event
By sponsoring a BGI event, your business will receive direct exposure to thousands of greenway supporters via mailings, eblasts and other promotional materials. Additionally, you’ll receive broad exposure to Brooklyn residents and businesses through targeted print distribution and BGI’s web presence.
You will also be involved with a progressive project that demonstrates community-driven change and is a key element of NYC’s Comprehensive Waterfront Plan and sustainability agenda.
BGI’s next event will be New Views 2014: Brooklyn Surf & Turf & Earth, our annual summer benefit to be held on Wednesday, June 25, 2014. For information about sponsor opportunities, please contact Brian McCormick. You can also join our Host Committee today!
E-mail Brian McCormick, Director of Development, or call him at 718.522.0193.
Take a look at some of our promotional materials from past BGI events:
BROOKLYN GREENWAY INITIATIVE’S CORPORATE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) relies on volunteers to support its stewardship activities on the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway. Volunteers from your company can work alongside BGI’s staff at various sites on the route and participate in:
• Planting shrubs and flowers
• Providing tree pit maintenance
• Removing weeds
• Assisting at major public events
Volunteer opportunities are available for short or long term projects, for groups of all sizes, and can be tailored to meet the specific needs and interests of your company. They are designed to be team building activities that are fun, lively, and get your hands a little dirty.
By taking part in BGI’s Corporate Volunteer Program, volunteers will be:
• Giving back to the community
• Working together as a team
• Gaining a sense of accomplishment
• Enjoying a change of pace from their regular workday
• Ultimately, strengthening your corporate culture
“Target likes to give back to the community and seeing the positive response of people walking and riding along the Greenway and thanking us for our work was a real highlight.”
— Tony Roman, Target Group Vice President
BGI requests a minimum of 10 volunteers and a donation from every corporation that participates in our Corporate Volunteer Program. Funds not only provide necessary supplies, materials and tools for each stewardship project, but also insure that the work we do can continue beyond each volunteer day. BGI is a 501c3 non-profit organization and donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.