Jobs & Internships
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) seeks a Director of Development to increase and diversify funding toward the development, establishment, and stewardship of the Brooklyn’s greenway network as critical connectors to a greener, stronger, healthier Brooklyn while supporting the continued growth and success as a nonprofit. The Director will support the Executive Director and Board of Directors in all fundraising efforts and serve as the organization’s point person for all development-related functions. The successful Director will be a dynamic and integral member of the team who helps expand organizational capacity and increase our operating budget.
The Director will report directly to the Executive Director and collaborate with other team members (staff and Board of Directors) whose work integrates with fundraising, development, external affairs, and organizational administration. The Director will focus attention on the primary goal of increasing organizational revenue, diversifying and expanding revenue streams in the process. With new leadership and strong momentum toward planning and constructing greenways in Brooklyn and across New York City, Brooklyn Greenway Initiative is poised for growth and seeks a Director of Development to help increase and diversify revenue.
Specific responsibilities of the Development Director position include, but are not limited to:
- Provide direct support to the Executive Director in all development-related initiatives
- Write letters of inquiry, proposals, reports, and other materials for current and prospective supporters
- Create visual presentations such as sponsorship decks, pitch documents, and program reports
- Conduct prospect research and write detailed meeting preparation summaries
- Develop an annual fundraising plan and keep up to date on reporting deadlines for foundation, major donor, and government funders
- Produce monthly fundraising summaries and communicate upcoming development-related deadlines and opportunities
- Process all donations in donor database, Little Green Light, and write thank-you notes focused on continued cultivation
- Support BGI events to maximize donor cultivation, including invitation list generation and distribution, on-site fundraising and donor cultivation, donations tracking, and follow up
- Develop tools and protocols to collect and analyze data that helps determine current and predict future fundraising success
- Coordinate with external bookkeeper on income reporting and reconciliation
- Support writing and copy editing for BGI-wide materials, including fundraising collateral, annual report, and other communications
- Represent the ED and BGI in meetings with prospective and current supporters, partners, and peers
- 3-5 years of non-profit development including development operations, donor relationship management, and grant writing experience. This includes strong written and verbal communication skills and a proven track record of raising funds for a non-profit organization
- Experience with institutional, government, and major donor research and cultivation
- Experience developing an annual fundraising plan to support organizational growth with targeted goals and timelines
- Experience with CRM databases and Google Workspace
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with fundraising event planning including ticketed events with six figure net fundraising goals and multiple vendors
- Proven experience with donor research and development of a donor pipeline
- Strong and compelling communication and storytelling skills: ability to communicate effectively with donors, community members, partners, and other stakeholders
- Experience crafting budgets for institutional funding proposals, and tracking of and reporting on restricted funds.
- Collaboration and coordination with program staff and executive director to develop grant proposals, and stay on target with fulfilling grant deliverables.
- An entrepreneurial, motivated spirit with experience and interest in growing a small organization to its greater potential
- Experience with securing funds from NYC Council and reporting processes as well as NYS agencies.
- Experience developing and implementing strategies for donor cultivation events
- Motivation to advance the urban environment, mobility, and quality of life in Brooklyn and New York City. Interest in and knowledge of bicycling/multi-modal transportation, urban planning, open spaces and parks, waterfront development, and government/politics on a local and national level
- Experience with Little Green Light, Mailchimp, Social Media Platforms, WordPress, Wix, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and knowledge of HTML
- Experience supporting annual organizational audits in coordination with bookkeeper and external audit consultant.
- Experience developing organizational budgets and tracking revenue and expense targets
Schedule and Salary Details
The Director of Development is a full-time, exempt, salaried position.
- Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm, with flexibility for occasional evening and weekend meetings, events, and other work-related engagements. BGI has a hybrid work environment and is based at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
- Location: Candidates must be local to NYC.
- Compensation: $75,000 – $85,000 annually, commensurate with experience. BGI also offers contributions toward health insurance as part of our benefits package.
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Thanks for your interest in working with BGI.